Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dry Rub and My Favorite BBQ Sauce for Ribs!

I've been experimenting with smoking Ribs, pork roasts, and chicken since we got a Traeger Smoker. So far so good, but I"m still perfecting my Ribs. My favorite way still so far to cook my Ribs is already posted on my blog--see under pork recipes.While I have been browsing through different Rub Recipes I found this one and used in on my Ribs on Sunday. I loved it!! It beats any that I have tried from the store so far and it didn't have any salt in it. You could add some salt to it if you like but I found it didn't need it with all the other seasonings and the BBQ sauce we added after cooking.  I always fall back to using the same basic BBQ sauce recipe on my ribs, once in a while I add Chipotle powder to it, or crushed red pepper. This last time I tweaked it just a bit by adding a little more of a few ingredients so I will post it again here. Both the rub and the sauce would be good to use when grilling or smoking pork or chicken (I haven't tried it on Beef yet). And since it's Summer and grilling season has begun I thought I would share!!  Here's to Happy Grilling!!

Dry Rib Rub
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic powder
2 Tablespoons onion powder
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon Cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon ground White Pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons crushed, dried oregano
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Combine all of the rub ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle liberally (or how heavy you desire) on meat that you're cooking. Cook however you desire on a grill or smoker.
This makes a lot of rub, I keep the extra in a ziploc baggie in my spice cupboard.

Di's Favorite BBQ Sauce
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup minced onion
1 heaping teaspoon, minced garlic
1-1/2 cups water
1 sm. can tomato paste
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1-3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons liquid smoke (I usually use Mesquite or Hickory flavor)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (use a whole teaspoon full if you like more spice
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for a few minutes, then add the minced garlic and cook a couple more minutes untill the onions turn translucent and start to brown slightly. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk to combine. Bring mixture to a boil over medium/high heat. Reduce heat and let simmer, stirring occasionally for 1-1/2 hours uncovered so the sauce will thicken slightly. Remove from heat. Use on ribs or in pulled pork for sandwiches or however you desire. Yummo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...