Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Southwestern BBQ Burgers with Oil and Vinegar Slaw

MMMM I love experimenting with burgers almost as much as with Tacos and pizza. (I think I just love to experiment with food!) I was watching the Food Network Saturday Morning , and Rachel Ray made these yummy looking burgers, you can go to http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/brooklyn-chili-burgers-with-smoky-barbecue-sauce-with-oil-and-vinegar-slaw-recipe/index.html for the original recipe. I just had to give them a try but I tweaked the recipe a bit and turned it into a Southwestern BBQ burger. LOVED IT! The BBQ sauce is yummo, I tweaked it because I was trying to imitate a Sweet Hot Tomato Chutney that I bought at the Boise Farmer's market, loved the flavor... this came pretty close!  I followed her recipe pretty close for the slaw, but used a sweet onion that I grated into it instead of a red onion, and I used celery seed instead of celery salt because that is what I had, but use what you like! I also left out the beer in the burgers.... I don't think it needed it, plus I don't drink it so I didn't have any on had. I think they turned out YUMMO!  ENJOY!!
Southwestern Chili Burgers with Oil and Vinegar Slaw
 Ingredients
BBQ Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon, minced fresh ginger (remember those convenient tubes of the stuff in the produce department)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika,
1/2 teaspoon Jamaican All Spice
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
Coarsely ground black pepper

Oil and Vinegar Slaw:
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon  ground black pepper, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/2 pound shredded cabbage slaw salad mix with carrot and purple cabbage (about 1/2 of a small package of the coleslaw mix)
1/4 cup grated sweet onion

For the burgers:
2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup grated onion
Montreal steak seasoning (recommended: McCormick) or coarse salt and black pepper (I used about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon I think)
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano,
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons chili powder

Vegetable oil or olive oil, for drizzling
Sliced pepper jack cheese,
Onion rings
Pickle slices or banana pepper slices
Cracked wheat Hamburger buns

Directions:
Preheat oven according to onion ring package directions,
Put all the ingredients for the barbecue sauce in small pot and cook over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens and the flavors combine, about for 20 minutes. (Just a warning, this thickens and burps as it bubbles so have it half covered with a lid so your stove doesn't get covered with it)

Whisk together the vinegar, honey and oil, in a medium bowl. Stir in the celery seed, salt and black pepper, to taste. Add the slaw mix and onions and toss together. Let the salad wilt up to 10 to 15 minutes.

Get your onion rings cooking
Preheat a grill or griddle to medium.
Put the meat in a bowl with the grated onion and season with steak seasoning or salt and pepper, to taste. In a small bowl combine the Worcestershire with the herbs (crush the herbs with your fingers as you add it to the worcestershire sauce), and chili powder. Pour the herb mixture over the meat and mix thoroughly. Form the meat mixture into desired size patties and drizzle with a little vegetable oil or olive oil. Put the burgers on the grill or griddle and cook for a few minutes on each side.  I cook for about 3 to 4 minutes per side depending on the thickness of my patties. Baste the tops of the burgers liberally with barbecue sauce. Top the burgers with Cheese and let it melt, I turn the heat off my grill at this point, so the burgers don't burn, close the lid and the cheese will get melty after a minute or two.

To assemble, spread both top and bottom of the buns with BBQ sauce, place pattie on bottom bun, next comes a couple of onion rings, then a spoonful of slaw, (the onion rings help hold on the slaw) and if you desire next comes the pickles or banana peppers, and top with the top bun! Serve with chips or fries or a crispy salad.... and get ready for heaven!! YUM!! (have lots of napkins handy)

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...