Monday, June 27, 2011

Grilled Asparagus and zucchini with Balsamic Vinegar Glaze

This last weekend, Jim and I went to see Sarah in Provo. She was just finishing up a shift at Olive Garden when we got there, so of course we all had to eat there. Jim got a steak that had roasted Asparagus with a Balsamic Vinegar glaze that I had to taste (of course, what's more fun than eating out and tasting every one's dinner?). YUMMO! I had to make some at home! I surfed the net and found quite a few recipes for Balsamic Glaze and all were about the same, so I had to give it a try for dinner tonight. I knew it would taste good on zucchini too, and it was way to hot to roast my veggies in the house, so I grilled mine on my grill outside. I served mine with grilled hamburger patties that I melted cheese on, but you could serve it with steak too. This Balsamic Glaze would probably taste delish drizzled over a cooked steak too! In fact, it was soooooo good, I licked my plate clean! Enjoy!

Grilled Asparagus and Zucchini with Balsamic Vinegar Glaze
1 cup Balsamic Vinegar (any brand will do)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce

1 1/2 pounds asparagus (I used 1 bunch)
4 small zucchini, sliced diagonally
Olive oil
kosher salt

In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce heat to low heat (you want this to keep simmering though, so keep it high enough to do that, but not so high it burns) Keep simmering, stirring occasionally until thick and syrupy, about 20 to 25 minutes. (mine seemed watery for most of the 25 minutes and then all of a sudden it thickened) Remove from heat and let cool. After it's cooled about 5 to 10 minutes I like to put mine into a squeeze bottle, it's easier to drizzle over your veggies that way.
While the glaze simmers, wash your veggies, remove the tough ends from the asparagus, and slice your zucchini on a diagonal, about 1/4 inch thick. Keep your asparagus whole after snapping off the tough ends. Place veggies in a large bowl or cake pan ( I keep mine separate from each other) and drizzle olive oil over the veggies. Then sprinkle as much kosher salt over the veggies as you desire, toss to coat.
Preheat your grill to medium high heat, if grilling your veggies. I used a veggie tray so my veggies wouldn't fall through the grill grate. Place your asparagus and zucchini on the grill, and close lid, cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, then turn and cook 4 to 5 minutes more or until your desired tenderness. Place on plates and drizzle the Balsamic Glaze over the veggies as desired.

If you want to roast your veggies in the oven, preheat it to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with foil, drizzle the Olive oil and kosher salt on the veggies like when grilling, and layer your asparagus and zucchini flat on the baking sheet. Cook 10 to 20 minutes depending on how tender you like your veggies.
YummO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...