Monday, August 22, 2011

'Nutter Butter Balls (or does it sound better to call them Truffles)

The other day at a wedding reception they served Oreo Truffles (or Oreo Balls) and while I was eating them I wondered if they would be good made with Nutter Butter Cookies instead of Oreos.....so a couple of weekends ago I thought I would give it a shot! I'm always up for experimenting in the kitchen. I used a whole package of nutter butters that I crumbled in my food processor and then added an 8 oz package of cream cheese and whipped them together like you do for the oreo balls. Something wasn't quite right, they didn't seem peanut buttery enough so I added a little peanut butter, tasted and added a little more. Then they didn't seem sweet enough or something and didn't quite hold together. I thought about adding in powdered sugar but the mixture was on the dry side already. Then I remembered I had a small jar of marshmellow creme up in the cupboard that I hadn't used yet. Perfect!! It's just what it needed! The filling tasted like the middle of Reese's Peanut Butter cups!  I dipped them in melted dipping chocolate and added a little melted orange candy melts for a decoration (since it's feeling fallish outside!) Next time I make them I may not add the cream cheese, and might just use a large jar of marshmellow cream, I'm still tweaking this recipe. But since they turned out yummo I thought I would post the recipe for how I made them so far. Enjoy!

Nutter Butter Truffles
1 package Nutter Butter cookies
1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, brought to room temperature
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 small jar marshmellow cream
Dipping Chocolate
White chocolate or colored candy melts for garnishing

Crumble the whole package of nutter butters in a food processor (I broke them in half while putting them in the processor) and process until they are the texture of coarse cornmeal, if there are a few bigger crumbs that's okay.
Place the cookie crumbs in a large bowl of a mixer along with the cream cheese, peanut butter and marshmellow creme. Blend together until all the ingredients are incorporated together.
Roll into the desired size of balls, (I used my small cookie dough scoop, but I think they could have been made a little smaller, just depends on how big you want your truffles, mine were 2-bite size but you could go for pop-the-whole-thing-in-your-mouth size)
Place the balls on a cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator, or freeze them (I heard freezing them is good for dipping, they don't soften as fast)
Melt your dipping chocolate. I started with about 2 cups of chopped Guittard milk chocolate for candy making. I mircrowaved for about a minute, then stirred the chocolate. If it isn't quite melted, microwave for 20 seconds more then stir. Continue to microwave for 20 seconds then stir until it's completly melted.
To dip the balls you can stab them with a toothpick and dip them in, or I remove the 2 middle tines of a plastic fork and drop the balls in the chocolate, making sure they are covered with chocolate by spooning it  over them, then I scoop them out with my two-tined fork and then let them sit and drip a bit to remove the excess chocolate. Then I put them back on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet.
When they are all dipped, I melt my white chocolate the same way and put in a baggy with the corner snipped off and drizzle over the top for decoration. Then I put back in the refridgerator to chill and set.
YUM!! (these are quite rich, but I still bet you can't eat just one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...