Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pancakes --made from Scratch, not from a mix!!

Last Sunday morning I woke up craving pancakes.... I mean I was REALLY craving pancakes. I went to the refrigerator to get my Bisquick baking mix, and there was none to be found... even in my pantry ! I always have an extra box of Bisquick lying around! So I resorted to my good old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for a recipe for Pancakes, and of course I tweaked it a bit. I know most everyone probably knows how to make pancakes from scratch, but just in case not, I'm posting it, especiallly for my daughter since I started this blog for her. I smothered my pancakes with a little butter and then some peach/pineapple jam that I had made last fall.... MMMMMMM what's better than warm pancakes on a fallish morning??

Pancakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons cooking oil (I used grape seed oil, but canola is good too)

In a mixing bowl; stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another mixing bowl, combine the egg, vanilla, milk and cooking oil. Add this mixture to the flour mixture all at once. Then stir the mixture just till blended but slightly lumpy. (over mixing will cause your pancakes to be tough)
Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium/high heat. When hot, spray with non-stick cooking spray, then pour about 1/4 cup of your pancake batter onto the hot griddle or pan. Cook till bubbles form and the edges are slightly dry, then turn and cook the other side until they are golden brown. Serve with butter, your favorite syrups and jams. YUMM! This recipe makes about 8 to 10 standard size pancakes.

Variation: To make Buttermilk Pancakes prepare just the same except reduce baking powder to 1 teaspoon and add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda to the flour mixture, and substitute Buttermilk or sour milk for the regular milk. Add additional buttermilk if the batter is too thick and you need to thin it out a bit. Cook as directed in the above recipe.

1 comment:

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...