Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My improved Chicken Alfredo Recipe

I love chicken Alfredo...especially from the Olive Garden. I had read somewhere , I think on a copy cat recipe site,  that the Olive Garden uses a garlic paste rather than minced garlic in their Alfredo sauce. I have roasted Garlic bulbs before for Garlic Mashed potatoes, it seems to give the garlic a sweeter taste. So I thought, why not try that in my Alfredo sauce??? So I did! (See the Video on how to roast a garlic bulb that I posted right before this one.) After it was roasted I squeezed the garlic out onto a small plate and mushed with a fork until I had a paste.  I also had some sun dried tomatoes that were packed in Olive Oil that I needed to use up as well so I mushed them up like I did the garlic, but you don't have to use them if you don't want to. This was yummo! The only thing I would do different is make more sauce... the fettuccine noodles tend to soak up a lot! Also I just noticed that I've never posted my chicken Alfredo recipe.... I can't believe I haven't!! I have just posted my alfredo sauce recipe.... Goodness, I'm a slacker.....

Improved Chicken Alfredo

4 boneless, skinless Chicken breasts
1 package Grill Mates Garlic, Herb and Wine Marinade
1 (1-lb.) box Fettuccine Noodles

For the Alfredo Sauce:
6 Tablespoons butter
1 whole garlic bulb, roasted
2 Tablespoons sundried tomatoes, packed in olive oil (optional)
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
dash of nutmeg
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for Garnishing

Make the Grill Mates Marinade according to the package directions, and pour over chicken that you placed in a Ziploc bag. Zip shut and mush around so the marinade is on all the chicken. Let marinade for at least a half an hour, longer is better... I have even done mine overnight. The longer you marinade the more flavorful your chicken will be.
Next, roast your garlic bulb. See the video I posted, remembering that it roasts at 350 for about 45 minutes, plus you want it to cool so you can handle it. Squeeze out the roasted garlic and mash into a paste. Set aside.

When ready to make your Chicken alfredo, Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt, and your noodles and cook according to package directions.
To make your Alfredo sauce:
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic paste and the sundried tomatos (if using it, it's optional) to the butter and cook for about 1 minute or until slightly browned. Then whisk in the cream, keep the heat at about medium to medium-low, and bring this to barely a simmer (if this boils too hard, the cream and the butter separate and look curdled) Once its at a low simmer add the salt, pepper, nutmeg and Parmesan cheese. Bring mixture back to a low simmer and continue to cook another 5 to 8 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring often. ( Remember, don't simmer at too high of heat or it will separate)
While sauce and noodles are cooking, heat your grill to medium high heat. Then cook your chicken breasts about 5 to 7 minutes per side (depending on the thickness of them) When done, let sit on plate for about 5 minutes.
When noodles are cooked: drain and add to your thickened alfredo sauce, toss to combine. Then slice your chicken in thin slices and place on top of noodles (you can toss some in to mix up and then place the rest of the chicken on top, I usually slice 2 chicken breasts and toss in with the noodles, then slice the other two and place on top)
Garnish with more Parmesan cheese and serve with breadsticks, or crusty frenchbread and salad. ENJOY!!! YUMMALICIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...