Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Smoked Ribs

We bought a Traeger Smoker last year, and I've been experimenting with Ribs all summer long. I finally got a recipe worthy of 'blogging' about. I loved this one-- I loved the flavor we got after 'painting' the ribs first with yellow mustard, and then smoking for about 6 hours. I used my usual BBQ sauce but I had added just a pinch or two of Jamaican Allspice. They weren't quite falling off the bone, but extremely tender, juicy and flavorful... YUMMO!!

Di's Smoked Ribs
2 racks Pork Baby Back Ribs
Yellow mustard (like French's)
Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
Traeger Poultry Rub (or pork and poultry rub, I used what I had)
BBQ sauce (any kind you like, I like my homemade sauce, see below)

Bring your Ribs to room temperature, by rinsing and patting dry, then let sit out on a cookie sheet till they are room temperature, (no longer than 30 minutes though).
When you are ready to smoke... have your smoker full of wood chips, we usually use Hickory, or Mesquite. I turn on our smoker and leave at the lowest setting which is Smoke, and let heat for 5 minutes with the lid closed.
While your smoker is heating, paint a thin layer of yellow mustard all over the ribs both sides. Then sprinkle the Montreal Steak seasoning over both sides, and then sprinkle a layer of the poultry rub over both sides.
When smoker is ready, place ribs bone side down on the rack and smoke for 5 to 6 hours until meat is starting to pull back from the bone. During the last 30 to 40 minutes, I brush BBQ sauce on the top of my Ribs every 10 to 15 minutes.
When done, remove from smoker and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing into single portions.
Serve with salads, or potato wedge fries, or chipotle mac n' cheese! YUMMO

Di's BBQ Sauce
I think my sauce turns out different every time I make it because I usually end up adding different spices like Jamaican All Spice, or more or less vinegar, and sometimes I add chipotle peppers or powder.... but here is my basic recipe.
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup minced onion
1 heaping teaspoon, minced garlic
1-1/2 cups water
1 sm. can tomato paste
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1-3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons liquid smoke (I usually use Mesquite or Hickory flavor)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (use a whole teaspoon full if you like more spice
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for a few minutes, then add the minced garlic and cook a couple more minutes until the onions turn translucent and start to brown slightly. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk to combine. Bring mixture to a boil over medium/high heat. Reduce heat and let simmer, stirring occasionally for 1-1/2 hours uncovered so the sauce will thicken slightly. Remove from heat. Use on ribs or in pulled pork for sandwiches or however you desire. Yummo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...