Monday, May 28, 2012

Cheesy Onion Quick Bread

I can't believe the cold, rainy blustery weather we have had lately.... so much for planting my flowers in my pots and beds this weekend. But with the cold chilly weather came the desire to bake something warm and comforting. My hubby had surgery this last week, so I was off work helping him recover and wanted to make something yummy. I ran across this recipe while browsing the Internet one afternoon and had to give it a try. I apologize but I can't remember where I found it, that's the trouble with browsing recipes, some don't have print buttons and I have to copy them down ( I usually forget to write down the website). But this bread was delicious and pretty easy to make. I didn't change a thing about it but I might try adding just a pinch more salt next time I make it. I served this bread with my chicken and rice casserole one evening for dinner. The next day I toasted it to go along with soup for lunch! YUMMO!! You could always use a different cheese when making it, I used Colby Jack since that is what I had on hand, but a Pepper Jack would be really good as well for a little kick. Enjoy!
Cheesy Onion Quick Bread
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese ( I grated mine in my food processor, then chopped it a bit for smaller pieces)
1/2 cup minced onion (again I minced mine in my food processor for a really fine chop)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil, and buttermilk until combined. Add in flour mixture and stir until the dry ingredients is just incorporated. Add in the cheese and onion and mix until batter comes together.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the loaf. The loaf should be a light golden color.
Turn out of the loaf pan and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
                                                   Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...