Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lemon Curd (or we could call it Citrus Curd)

Did you miss me?? Can't believe how busy life has been lately... planting gardens, taking care of the yard, get-aways with my hubby, and get-aways with my daughter!! But I did find some time to make some Yummo cupcakes for my birthday!! I put this lemon curd in the middle of them. I had been wanting to make this recipe since I ran across it on the Internet... I actually found two different recipes and combined what I liked about both to get this recipe. It was delicious!!! You could fill cupcakes, or regular cakes with it or even make baby tarts with this in the middle with a fresh blackberry or raspberry on the top... how yummy would that be? Anyway, I made it with straight lemon juice the first time I made it, then the second time, I used a combo of lemons, limes, and an orange... I love anything citrus or lemon, don't you??

Lemon Curd
6 egg yolks
1 cup sugar (may want to add about 1/4 cup more if using straight lemon juice, mine was quite tart)
Zest from 2 lemons (or lemon, lime, and orange, about 2 tablespoons)
1 cup lemon juice (or a mixture of lemon, lime, and orange)
8 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces

In a medium size saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and zest for about 3 to 4 minutes until light in color. Next, whisk in the juice. Put the pot over medium/low heat and continue to whisk until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken. This takes about 8 to 10 minutes. Start adding the butter 1 Tablespoon at a time, stirring while adding. When all the butter is incorporated, strain the lemon mixture through a mesh sieve to another container to cool. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap down on the top of the curd, that way you won't form a skin on the top of it as it cools. Completely cool in the refrigerator.
Use as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...