Sunday, May 20, 2012

Herb Roasted Honey Mustard Game Hens

I used to roast Game Hens or Cornish Hens quite a few years ago with a yummy honey mustard sauce basted onto them. I love little Game hens... aren't they cute? Does anyone else make their chickens dance while preparing them for cooking? Anyway, I had some Game hens in my freezer that I needed to cook and I remembered this recipe, I tried to find the original but it was lost somewhere amongst all my different recipes so I thought I would 'wing' it! Since it was after work, I wanted them to cook faster than just leaving them whole, so I butterflied them. To do that you cut down the center of the breast bone, and open them up. I sprinkled on some herbs, and roasted in the oven while basting with my honey mustard sauce every 15 minutes. I served mine with steamed veggies! YUM! (I apologize for my picture... I know I won't win any awards for my beautiful food, but it's real and it tastes good! :)

Herb Roasted Honey Mustard Game Hens
2 Game hens, thawed (you could do 4 if you need to and double the sauce)
Poultry seasoning ( or a mixture of Sage, Rosemary and Thyme)
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup honey
3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
While the oven preheats, butterfly the game hens down the middle of the breast bone and open up. Sprinkle Salt, pepper and poultry seasoning lightly over both sides. Please game hens skin side up in a casserole pan or large cookie sheet. Bake in oven for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until juices run clear and they reach 165 to 170 in the thickest part of the thigh.
Mix the honey and Dijon mustard together and baste the hens as they cook about every 15 minutes. I poured what was left of my sauce over the birds and let cook the last 15 minutes.
These were delicious! It was easy and the meat fell off the bone and had that mustard sweetness of the sauce and the seasoning of the herbs! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...