Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lemon Coconut Cupcakes

These are the very delicious cupcakes I made for myself on my birthday!!  I found the recipe here but I used regular lemons since I didn't have Yuzu fruit at a store in my small town. I filled them with the lemon curd using the recipe I posted before this recipe, and the combination of the cake, lemon curd and buttercream frosting was heaven... almost like..... butter (for lack of a better word) in your mouth! yum!! I love using cake flour in cupcakes, I really see a difference in the texture. Also this recipe calls for coconut milk! LOVE it! I haven't had a more yummy textured cupcake than these! While the cake and frosting don't have a really strong lemon flavor, the lemon curd does, and there's just a slight hint of coconut from the the milk. I had to make a second batch to share with the ladies I work with they were so yummy.....Enjoy!

Lemon Coconut Cupcakes
2 cups cake flour, sifted
1- 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp  lemon zest
1 cup coconut milk (found in the Asian section in the grocery store)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. (I got 15 cupcakes out of 1 batch)
In a medium bowl, sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, add the sugar and lemon zest and rub together with your fingers until fragrant and the zest in well incorporated. Then add the butter and cream together until light and creamy, then beat in egg.

Stir in one third of the flour mixture, followed by half of the milk. Stir in another third of the flour, followed by the remaining milk. Stir in remaining flour, mixing just until no streaks of dry ingredients remain. Batter will be fairly fluid.
Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
Turn cupcakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
When cupcakes are cool, you can scoop out a little with a spoon and then add the filling by putting in a pastry bag or Ziploc bag with the corner snipped out and fill your cupcakes. No need to add the bit of cake back that you scooped out, unless you want to. I say eat it.

Vanilla Lemony Buttercream Frosting
 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons coconut milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
2 teaspoons lemon zest
Dash or two of salt
3- 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
In a large bowl, beat butter to soften. Beat in lemon juice, coconut milk, lemon zest, vanilla. coconut extract, salt and about two cups of confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Gradually add remaining confectioners’ sugar until frosting is thick and creamy. You may not need all of the sugar. When the frosting is a good consistency, whip on medium speed for about 2 minutes for a light fluffy frosting.
Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...