Monday, January 16, 2012

Chewy Gingerbread Cookies

This may seem like I should have posted this recipe in December, but I just got it. My mom used to make a wonderful Molasses Cookie when I was young, and I had tried to get her recipe, but she lost it and hadn't been able to find it again. I had been on the search for a Molasses/ Gingerbread cookie that would remind me of those cookies that Mom used to make, but with no luck.... until now!!! A friend from church had brought us a little Christmas treat last month, and in them were these amazing cookies! When I took a bite I was transported back to my childhood with the smell, taste and chewiness of these cookies! YUM!!! Thanks Alecia for sharing these cookies AND the recipe!! All you need to go with these is a glass of milk....and a little will power! (I think I ate 4 right out of the oven!!)

Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar  (+ about 1/4 cup for rolling dough balls in before baking)
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses + 1 Tablespoon
2-1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground ginger

In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger together, whisk to combine and set aside.
Cream together butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes)
Add egg and molasses to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Next add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until it's all incorporated.
Roll dough into small balls (I used my small cookie scoop) and roll in a small bowl of granulated sugar. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet (or spray cookie sheet with a non-stick cooking spray. I love using parchment paper... clean up is easy) Bake at 350 for 7 to 8 minutes. (I baked mine for 8 minutes and they were perfect! don't over bake... that is the key to chewy cookies) Enjoy!!
**Note that there is no salt in this recipe.... so use Salted butter, I think using unsalted butter would make for a not quite as good cookie..

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...