Sunday, January 8, 2012

Shepherds Pie

Can you believe I haven't made Shepherd's Pie before??? at least that I can remember, I think I tried once in my early years of marriage but we didn't like it so I never attempted it again. In December during all the hustle and bustle of the season and my cake making I wanted something fast and comforting. I also had a bunch of leftover mashed potatoes from a Sunday pot roast dinner that I needed to use up and decided to give this another chance. I looked up recipes off the Internet, some were made with tomato sauce and others with cream of mushroom soup. I took what I liked about both varieties and this is what I came up with. It was just what I needed!! YUM!

Shepherds Pie
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 medium-size onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup water
1 pint green beans, drained (canned or frozen (about 1 1/2 cups) will work, I just had some home canned beans, if using frozen be sure they are thawed and drained)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
1 cup frozen diced carrots, thawed and drained
Leftover mashed potatoes (about 3 cups or so.. you want enough to cover the top of a 9x13 casserole dish)
1/4 cup milk (optional... I used it to thin out my potatoes a little)
Lawry's Seasoned Salt (to taste)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brown the ground beef, onions, and garlic in a large skillet, season with Salt and Pepper to suit your taste ( I always like to season my beef as it's browning). Once the hamburger is browned, drain off any grease.
Next add the cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, and water, stirring to incorporate all together, taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Then add in the beans, peas, and carrots, stirring to combine. Place this mixture in a 9x13 baking dish. Set aside.
In a large bowl place your leftover potatoes and the 1/4 cup of milk if needed, use less if your mashed potatoes are spreadable. Season with a little Lawry's seasoned salt to taste, then stir in your grated cheese (use as much cheese as you like, you could save some to sprinkle on the top if desired.)
Spread your mashed potato mixture over the top of your burger mixture by placing dollops of the mixture atop the casserole then spreading smooth with a knife or back of your spoon.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until potatoes start to turn a golden brown. Enjoy!!

**I just threw this together using what I had when it came to vegetables and mashed potatoes, I didn't really follow any recipe. Feel free to add more or less of whatever you like. I've also seen this made with tater tots used on the top instead of mashed potatoes and the cheese is just sprinkled on top of those. I liked the cheese incorporated into the mashed potato layer but it could just be sprinkled on the top. This is ultimate comfort food if you ask me!

2 comments:

  1. i live in England and this is a regular in my house! i cook the mince with onions, garlic and add gravy into the pan, then i transfer it into a casarole dish and put some carrots in and top with mash potato and grated cheese, yum yum! i haven't seen a recipe like this before but it looks delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your version too!! I am always happy to hear back from people that read my blog!!

    ReplyDelete

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...