Sunday, January 8, 2012

Samoa Bark

This was another treat I made to give to friends at Christmas time... but make it anytime. I love the Samoa cookies you get from Girl scouts, I think I could eat pretty much a whole box. This recipe tastes pretty much like those!! and you get a whole pan full! YUM!! I got the original recipe here and followed it pretty close except I toast my coconut differently. Enjoy!

Samoa Bark
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate + 2 oz for drizzle
35-40 shortbread cookies (I used Lorna Doone)
14 oz bag of caramels
3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
3 Tbsp water

Instructions
1.Line a baking sheet with parchement paper (or you can use foil). Set aside.
2.Melt 12 oz of semi-sweet chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave. (I prefer double boiler).
3.Spread the melted chocolate to your desired thickness…I went thin-ish.
4.Top your warm chocolate evenly with your shortbread cookies.
5.Place baking sheet in freezer while you do the next steps.
6.Spread your coconut onto another large baking sheet spreading out so it's a thin layer, then place into a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for about 7 to 10 minutes. Check on this occasionally and stir it around a bit. When the coconut starts to turn brown it happens quickly, so keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.. you want it good and toasty but not burned. Stir around and let brown all over.
7.Meanwhile unwrap all your caramels and place them in a medium saucepan along with 2 Tbsp of water over medium-low heat.
8.Stir continuously until the caramel has JUST melted. You don’t want to over heat the caramel, as it will make it hard. Immediately fold in your toasted coconut.
9.Remove your chocolate from the freezer and spread the caramel/coconut evenly on top.
10.Melt your remaining 2 oz of chocolate using whatever melting process you prefer and drizzle over the top of the caramel/coconut.
11.Put back in the freezer for 5 minutes to set the chocolate.
12.Cut and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...