Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Spaghetti with Bacon, Brussels Sprouts and Artichokes

I found this recipe on one of my favorite recipe blogs (click here) and I just had to give it a try... after all is there anything that  isn't good that has bacon in it?I had been on a search for some new recipes that were a little lighter than what I  usually cook and had different vegetables in them. My hubby is on one of those kicks where he doesn't want many carbs but more meat and veggies... I thought this would work even though it has spaghetti noodles in it, I used the 'whole grain with more protein in them' noodles and didn't use quite as many as the recipe calls for. Still good! And I found that I even like Brussels Sprouts! YUM!

Spaghetti with Bacon, Brussels Sprouts and Artichokes
yield: 2 entrees, 4 sides
Ingredients:
1/2 lb. spaghetti (Use whole grain for a healthier twist)
4 slices thick sliced pepper bacon
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 package frozen, baby Brussel Sprouts ( I used Picsweet, thawed  and then I cut in half)
    or you can use 1- 1/2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts, cut in half
1-(14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drain and cut into quarters
1/2 cup grated parmigiana reggiano cheese
salt, to taste

Directions:
Bring large pot of water to boil. Salt water and add in pasta. Cook to al dente, (about 7 minutes) drain and set aside.
In the mean time, in a deep skillet, cook bacon slices to your liking. Drain on paper towels. Pour off excess bacon grease leaving 2 tablespoons. {If your bacon didn’t give off enough grease, make up the difference in olive oil.} Saute onions,  brussels sprouts and salt until tender, about 5 minutes. Chop bacon slices into smaller pieces. Stir in artichoke hearts and garlic, saute for another minute, then add the bacon, hot pasta and cheese. Toss together, taste and adjust seasonings. If you find the dish is on the dry side, stir in some reserved pasta water or heavy cream. I liked mine just the way it turned out. You can eat this as a main dish or as a side dish served with grilled steak or chicken! YUM!  (my picture wasn't quite as pretty as the lady's that I got the recipe from was, but still tasted good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...