Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Creamy Avocado Salsa

I love watching the food channels on Saturday morning while I'm waking up in bed on Saturday morning... it's my most favorite thing!! This last Saturday I watched 'Rick Bayless-Mexico, one plate at a time' and he was featuring tacos.... and you know how I LOVE tacos!! He made this Salsa and made it sound sooooo amazing I had to give it a shot. He drizzled his over shrimp but I made Pork Carnitas (see my recipe here)and had it on those.. and it was AMAZING! You could drizzle this over any kind of meat in a taco that you like. I think I will try shrimp next. My hubby is all into eating healthy (I'm trying) so he ate his with just the meat, cheese and this drizzled on it with a side of black beans (no tortilla) but I caved and had to have a tortilla... I brushed it with a little olive oil and sauteed it in a skillet... not much oil so that 's healthier right? I know it looks a bit like split pea soup  or baby food but give it a try... it's awesome.

Creamy Avocado Salsa
2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
2 Serrano chilies, stemmed and roughly chopped
1/3 cup roughly chopped, loosely packed cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 cup water (or more, if necessary)
1 ripe avocado, pit removed, flesh scooped from the skin and roughly chopped
Salt (to taste)

Directions
In a blender  or food processor combine the peanuts, chilies, cilantro, lime juice and 1/2 cup water. Blend until completely smooth . Add the avocado and pulse until thoroughly blended. Taste and season with salt, (about 1/2 teaspoon), and thin with additional water if necessary, I added about 2 Tablespoons more since mine was pretty thick.

Serve on tacos, enchilada's, or whatever you desire!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...