Monday, April 12, 2010

Kalua pork in a slow cooker

This is a simple way of making traditional Hawaiian kalua pig without having to dig a hole in your back yard. It is a great tasting pork you could use for lettuce wraps, tacos, BBQ pork sandwiches with added BBQ sauce.. it was way tender. I used it for lettuce wraps... will post recipe for that later.

Kalua Pork
Original Recipe Yield 12 servings

Ingredients:
1 (6 pound) pork butt roast  (I had a 3 1/2 pound roast, made a lot)
1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring  ( I used the Hickory smoke flavor)

Directions:
Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub in salt, then liquid smoke over meat. ( I didn't measure the salt or liquid smoke... I just sprinkled it over the roast and rubbed it in) Place roast in a slow cooker.
Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.
Yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...