Friday, April 23, 2010

Southwestern Egg rolls

I love Southwestern eggrolls. I've gotten them at California Pizza kitchen in Salt Lake City at the Gateway. This is what I came up with! I thought they were pretty dang good! They're more like burritos than egg rolls, but taste good. I bake mine instead of frying, thought they'd be a little healthier that way.

Southwestern Egg Rolls

3 or 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
1 pkge. Grill Mates Chipotle Pepper Marinade
1/2 a medium sized onion, chopped
1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
1 cup blackbeans drained and rinsed
1 cup corn, either frozen or canned, drained
1 small can chopped green chili's
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash of black pepper
3/4 cup grated cheese
Flour Tortilla's (use smaller one's for appetizer's, or the burrito size for main dish)
Sour cream**
Guacamole
Pico de gallo or Salsa

Mix up marinade packet according to directions (I add the lime juice) Marinade chicken in a ziploc bag for 15 minutes to an hour. The longer you marinade the more flavorful your chicken will be.
Heat Grill. When hot, place chicken on the grill and cook about 8 to 10 minutes per side.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
While chicken cooks, saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes until onion starts to get tender. Add corn, beans, green chili's, and seasonings. Saute for a few more minutes until everything is heated through and seasonings blend, and onion is translucent.
When chicken is done, chop up into small pieces and add to bean and corn mixture. Remove from heat and add cheese.
Warm tortilla's for 20 seconds in the microwave. To assemble the eggrolls, get one tortilla, and spoon a couple of spoonfuls of filling  onto the center of it. Fold in the ends, then roll the tortillia up into a roll. Place on cookie sheet that has been sprayed with pam. Continue until you have the amount of eggs rolls you need or until the filling and tortilla's are gone. Brush melted butter or spray some Pam over the tops of the eggrolls.
Bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until the tortilla starts to turn golden brown and get crispy. Slice eggroll diagonally across the middle. Serve with Sour cream, Guacamole, and pico de gallo or Salsa! Yum!!

** I like to add a Tablespoon of lime juice and about 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder to about 1/2 cup sourcream for a dipping sauce.
**I had some chipotle coleslaw left over from my shrimp tacos and threw that in when sauting the beans and corn, and it was yummy too.
You could also fry these, I just don't like the grease.
*** I also served mine with a salad that I used the rest of the corn and blackbeans in with more grated cheese. I tossed this with a bag of salad. For the dressing I made some of the chipotle dressing from my recipe for chipotle coleslaw  (see shrimp taco recipe) and tossed in a large bowl with the salad, and served on the side of the eggrolls.







No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...