Sunday, April 11, 2010

Taco Salad

Was wondering whether or not to post this recipe.. I think most everyone knows how to make Taco Salad. But just in case you don't know how to make your own tortilla bowls this is what I do!!!  Sometimes they turn out better than other times (shape wise) sometimes Jim laughs at them... but they are still yummy!

Taco Shell Bowls

10-inch flour tortillas (one for however many your are serving)
Spray pam or oil
Emty food cans or pop cans, oven safe small custard cups, or balls of aluminum foil (what ever you have to drape the tortilla's over to make the bowl for your salad) I've used cans a lot.. if my tortillas are big I lay the can on it's side instead of upright, to make a deeper bowl.

Preheat your over to 400 degrees.
Place the cans on a cookie sheet. I microwave the tortillas for about 20 seconds to warm them slightly, then spray them with spray pam or brush with olive oil. Drape the tortilla's over the can (if you place it slightly off-center the shell with have a dramatic higher flair to one edge, soemtimes this is fun). Bake for about 5  minutes until starting to brown around the edges and firm enough to hold their shape. Using pot holders, carefully lift shells off the cans and place them cup sideup on the pan; the edges on larger tortillas might need support so you can place 4-in aluminum foil balls under the sagging areas if you want. Return to oven and bake until crispy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Watch them.. you don't want them to get too done.
I experiment alot... like I said sometimes they turn out with small cups.. and if I have the can laying  lengthwise sometimes they don't have much side to them.. but you're going to eat it anyway with the salad... so who cares what they  look like! 

Taco Salad filling:
 1-1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 medium sized onion, diced
1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

Lettuce or salad mix, chopped to bite size pieces, I throw in diced green onion tops
Salsa
Sour cream
Grated cheese
Guacamole

Brown meat with onions and garlic till done and onions are tender. Mix taco seasoning with about 1/4 water and pour on beef, stir till mixed in well. Add black beans and continue cooking for about 5 more minutes or so until the seasoning and beans are heated through and flavors mix.
Assemble the taco salad by layering in lettuce in the cup of your tortilla bowl, next add a  few spoonfuls of the meat and bean mixture, top with grated cheese, a spoonful of salsa , sour cream and guacamole if you like.
Yummo!!
I always eat my bowl at the same time.. but sometimes the men in my family eat the inside and go back for seconds of the fillings then eat the bowl!
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...