Saturday, April 10, 2010

Nellie's Frittata

I love experimenting with breakfast..sometimes Jim will go on a low carb diet which requires a lot of protien and vegge's.. so I made this this morning... I named it Nellie's frittata cuz when i say frittata I think of the singer Nelly Furtado ... hahaha!! I know.. my sense of humor is a bit off! But this was good!!

Nellie's Frittata
4 eggs
1/2 cup egg beater's egg product ( I always add a bit of this to my eggs when making omelette's or anything, I think it helps them stir together better and seem more creamy)
3 or 4 green onions, diced (save a couple of Tablespoons for on the top)
4  whole green chile's, (I used canned) diced into about 1 inch pieces.
1 can mushrooms, or fresh if you have them
1 cup or so grated cheddar cheese
3 Tablespoons Salsa, and some for garnish
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat about a Tablespoon or so of olive oil in a medium sized skillet  over medium heat, saute onions and mushrooms for a couple of minutes until onions start to turn transparent, add green chili's and saute a few more minutes.
While vegges cook, whisk the eggs and egg product together with a little salt and pepper, then add 3 tablespoons of your choice of salsa and 1/2 cup of the cheese, whisk again.
I move the vegge's to the edges of pan, then put another tablespoon of oil (just making sure the bottom of the pan is greased before you add the egg stuff) then spread the vegies back out, and pour egg mixture over them , I stir a bit (for a couple of minutes)and keep rotating the eggs so the pan stays covered, turn heat down a bit and cover with a lid for 2 to 3 minutes. When frittata is almost set, remove lid sprinkle with another half cup grated cheese and the rest of the green onions. Then place in oven and bake for about 5 minutes until cheese is melty, and the egg is the rest of the way cooked.
Remove from oven and cut into pieces like you do a pie and top with more salsa! I serve this with crispy peppered bacon and fruit if desired!! Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...