Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fried Shrimp Po' Boys

I watch the food network all the time, and Emeril Lagasse made these except he didn't put the coleslaw on them, that was my idea... This has become one of our favorites, especially Andrew's. I usually serve them with potato wedge fries... Yummo!!!

Fried Shrimp Po'Boys

2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined (or more if you are making more than 4 to 6 sands)
Creole Seasoning (I've used Tony Chachere's)
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal

Hard rolls, or sub sandwich rolls ( I like to use Walmart hardrolls, they have great texture)
Cole Slaw (see my recipe on this blog)
Hot sauce (we like Louisianna Hot Sauce)

In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour and cornmeal and 2 Tablespoons creole seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt,  1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Set aside. (FYI-you might have some of this mixture left over after dredging your shrimp, I keep in a ziploc sandwich bag in the freezer to use the next time I make these)
Heat the oil in a large sauce pan or preheat a deep fryer to 360 degrees. Lightly season the shrimp with the Creole seasoning on both sides. Dredge the shrimp in the cornmeal mixture, coating the shrimp completely.
Fry the shrimp in hot oil, in batches, until golden brown, stirring occasionally so they don't stick together, about 4 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
When shrimp is all cooked,  have as many hard rolls as you need opened and placed on a cookie sheet, spray with Pam cooking spray, broil in oven 2 minutes until they just begin to toast (don't get them too crispy)
To assemble sandwiches, Lay 6 to 8 shrimp on the bottom of your sandwich roll (depending on the size of the shrimp and the roll) I lay my first shrimp flat, then kind of overlap them on each other. Sprinkle with hot sauce, top with a spoonfull of cole slaw, and then comes the top of the sandwich. Serve with potatoe wedge fries and fry sauce and dig in!! Yummmmmmm!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...