Sunday, May 30, 2010

Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches

okay.. I love experimenting. The food network is always making steak sandwiches so I thought I'd give it a shot... this is what I came up with. Turned out pretty good! Next time I want to try for a messyier sandwich and make a homemade cheese sauce to pour over the top... will put that on here sometime. But this was good for a less messy and healthier sandwich.

Di's Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich

2 pounds carne asada (this is thin sliced roast, you can get it at the butcher block in most stores)
1 medium onion, slicen thinly
1 red pepper, sliced thinly
1 green pepper, sliced thinly

Steaksauce (I use A-1 or lea & perrins)
Sandwich Rolls ( I like using the wheat Bolillio Rolls you can get at Walmart)
Salt and pepper
Provolone Cheese
Olive oil

First, slice the carne asada into about 1 inch strips. Heat a Tablespoon or two of olive oil in a large skillet, add carne asada and season with a little salt and pepper. Saute until beef is starting to brown.
Add 1/4 cup or more steak sauce to the beef. Cover with a lid, and simmer for about 1/2 an hour. This will help to tenderize the steak and give it flavor.Stir occasionally.



While steak is cooking, in another skillet, heat another tablespoon or so of olive oil. Add peppers and onions, stir fry on medium heat until crispy tender.



Preheat the oven to broil.

When the beef  and veggies are done. Slice sandwich rolls in half lengthwise, and lay on cookie sheet. Place a slice of provolone cheese on each half of the roll. Place under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese is bubbly and rolls start to brown around the edges.

To assemble, grab yourself a roll, pile on the beef, you can put sauce from pan or more steak sauce, or hot sauce on it, then add some of the veggies, salt and pepper to taste! and Enjoy!! Serve with chips, potato wedge fries, or a salad if you're being really healthy! Yummo!!!

Like I said, these would be really sinful with a cheese sauce on them instead of the provolone... Next time when I'm not watching my wasteline I'm going to try it!

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing Didi! You need to have your own show on the Food Network! Do you like to watch The Next Food Network Star? I love that show. You should be on it!!! All your recipes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching anything on the Food Network. I do love the Next Food Network star....I'm glad you like my recipes!

    ReplyDelete

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...