Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My tried and true Spaghetti Sauce










This is one of those recipes I've been making since before I was married!! I love it cuz you can add hot sausage to it if you want with the hamburger, and it always turns out good.

Di's Spaghetti Sauce

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 medium sized onion, diced
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can of water or tomato or V-8 juice (I fill the empty can of tomatoe sauce with  this to measure it and  to rinse out the can) you can add a little more if needed
1 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 Tablespoon parsley
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon basil
3/4 teaspoon italian seasoning (or mixture of oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, and thyme)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. (I like my sauce to have a slight zing!)

Brown beef with onion, garlic, and green pepper in skillet. Add tomatoes, tomatoe sauce, tomato paste, and juice or water, and mushrooms to the beef and stir. Mix the remaining ingredients together and then stir in to sauce mixture. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
Serve over hot spaghetti noodles, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Great with salad and crusty french bread or breadsticks. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...