Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes

It was a rainy day yesterday so I made chili and wanted something to go on/in it. I was going to make cornbread, but I had this recipe for Sweet Corn Tamale cakes so I gave it a try. It was yummy in chili, but I tried to substitute some creamed corn that I had accidently opened one day and had in the freezer, so my corn cakes came out kind of on the flat side. Still tasted good escpecially in chili so I thought I"d post the recipe. Next time I'll just use regular frozen corn, and I might try adding a few chopped green chili's.

Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes
1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup masa harina (corn flour found where the Mexican foods are stocked)
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare the tamale cakes by chopping 1 cup of the frozen corn in a food processor until it's coarsely pureed. Combine pureed corn with softened butter, sugar, and salt. Blend well with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add masa and flour and blend well. Mix in the remaining 1/2 cup of frozen corn kernals by hand.
Measure 1/2 cup portions of the mixture and form it into 3-inch wide pattie with your hands. Arrange the patties on a greased baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cakes are browned on the bottom. Carefully flip all cakes with a spatula and bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until the other side is browned.
Serve with chili and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...