Thursday, December 29, 2011

Key Lime Truffles

You know I’ve said before how I LOVE the Key Lime Truffles you can get at See’s Candies… I’ve made cupcakes trying to imitate the flavor and now I’ve tried Truffles…. I think I came pretty close. If you have ever made Oreo Truffles you know how easy and yummy those are… I thought that maybe if I used Golden Oreo’s and cream cheese that would do it… along with lime juice … so here’s the recipe I came up with. I added a little citric acid to get that tartness that is in the Key Lime truffles at See’s. I’ve also added toasted coconut because since adding the lime juice the batter was a little sticky and I thought that would soak up a little moisture… and I LOVE toasted coconut! Enjoy!

Key Lime Truffles
1 package Golden Oreo’s
1-(8oz) Package cream cheese, room temperature
4-1/2 Tablespoons fresh Lime Juice
Zest of 2 limes
¼ teaspoon citric acid (you can purchase this in the pharmacy, I bought mine at Walmart)½ cup toasted coconut (see package for toasting directions)
White dipping chocolate

Place your Oreo’s in a food processor and process into fine crumbs ( I do mine in 2 batches) or place in a Ziploc bag and crush into fine crumbs with a rolling pin.
Dissolve the citric acid in the lime juice.
In a large bowl whip the cream cheese, lime juice with citric acid, and  lime zest  together with an electric beater until smooth.
Stir in the Oreo crumbs and toasted coconut.
Form into balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. (I use a small cookie scoop). (They won’t be perfect balls yet because of the gooeyness of the batter) let chill for ½ an hour then roll into balls and chill for another hour.
Melt white dipping chocolate and dip your Oreo balls into the melted chocolate, draining off excess. (I like to use a plastic fork with the 2 middle tines removed, then I plop the Oreo balls into the chocolate and turn with a spoon so that they are completely covered in chocolate, then I fish then out with my plastic fork and let drain a minute over the bowl) then place back on the cookie sheet.
I like to garnish half of mine with more toasted coconut. When all have been dipped I garnish the other half with some leftover white chocolate that I have tinted a light green with food coloring that I place in a Ziploc bag with the corner snipped out, then drizzle the balls with it.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...