Friday, December 9, 2011

Yams

I know, Thanksgiving is over, but my mother-in-law invented this recipe with me and I was afraid that I would forget what we put in it. I like yams, but sometimes they can be too sweet, and other times not sweet enough. This recipe was just right. Mom J. had watched Bobbi Flay make Yams and remembered the ingredients he put in his but we weren't sure on the amounts. So I experimented and this is what we came up with.... and again we weren't disappointed. I liked the flavor the orange juice gave them, and I used a dash or two of cayenne pepper, it didn't really make them spicy, but I think it toned down the sweetness and enhanced the flavor.  Sorry but I didn't take a picture of what the inside of my Yam dish looked like.... must have been too busy eating them! YUM!

Yams
1 (29 oz) Can Yams, drained (or you can use fresh that have been cooked ahead, about 2 or 3 cups)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup orange juice (fresh sqeezed if you have it, I had some oranges leftover from my turkey brine)
Dash or two of salt
Dash of cayenne pepper
Marshmellows, either mini or the large cut in half will do, just enough to cover the top of your Yams

Combine the butter and sugar together in a medium saucepan. After butter has melted, stir in your orange juice and simmer a minute or two until slightly thickened. Next add the yams and seasonings, toss until the ingredients are combined, and cook until everything is bubbly. I don't mash mine, I like the lumps.
Put your yam mixture into a small casserole dish. You can either set aside until about 30 minutes before serving time, then bake in a 350 degree oven until hot  (about 10 to 20 minutes depending on how cold they got while waiting until dinner) or if you are going to eat right away, place the marshmellows on top, turn your oven on broil, and broil 1 or  2 minutes or until Marshemellows turn a light toasty brown color.
Serve and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...