Thursday, February 25, 2010

Di's Pizza Dough Recipe


This is the best recipe for Pizza Dough! It originally was a recipe I had in a cook book for French bread. But I've tweaked it a bit by adding wheat flour and olive oil and love it for Pizza Crust! Enjoy!

Di's Pizza Dough
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1 Tablespoon sugar

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water in mixing bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes until it's bubbly.
Add:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour (or bread flour which is my first choice if it's on hand)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 TBsp. olive oil

Beat until smooth. Stir in 3/4 to 1 cup more of the white flour to make dough easy to handle. I continue to mix in my Kitchen aid mixer for another 3 to 5 minutes. This makes it so you don't have to knead by hand. If you don't have a heavy duty mixer for bread doughs, knead by hand for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
Cover with damp cloth until double in size.
I like to roll dough out in a mixture of flour and a little corn meal. Then place on hot pizza stone and quickly add the desired pizza toppings. Then I bake 10 to 12 minutes until bottom of crust and edges are brown. (Hint: I add all my toppings at first except cheese. I add that the last 5 minutes, doesn't burn that way)
This recipe makes one 16 to 18 inch pizza. Can easily double for two pizzas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...