Thursday, February 25, 2010
Lasagna Roll Ups
8 lasagna noodles (I find that there's enough stuff for 9 noodles)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
21 ounces Alfredo-style pasta sauce(see home made recipe below.. it's better)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Rinse in cold water and drain well.
2. Meanwhile, in a large sauce pan over medium heat add oil and cook broccoli or spinach and green onions until tender, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat and stir in ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt and egg.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. Place noodles in a single layer on a sheet of waxed paper. Evenly spread some of the cheese mixture on each noodle. Roll up each noodle from the short end, jelly-roll style.
5. In a 8x12 inch baking dish, spoon about 3/4 of the Alfredo sauce on the bottom and spread evenly. Arrange the rolled noodles, seam side down, in the dish. Top with mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce. Cover loosely with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted. Serve.
May want to double the alfredo sauce if you like it saucy... noodles tend to soak up alot of sauce while cooking.
*Can add chopped chicken to the cheese mixture, or I grill chicken breasts after marinating in Grill mates, Garlic Herb & Wine Marinade packet. Then I sliced it along with some roasted red pepper in thin strips and layed around the lasagna rolls... then poured the rest of the alfredo sauce on top ( I put the sauce on the bottom of the pan too like the recipes says) I also made my own alredo sauce-- See below!) You can make this without the chicken in it and have chicken on the side -still yummy.
1 stick butter
2 cloves garlic minced 2 cups heavy cream
1/8 tsp pepper
pinch of salt
dash of nutmeg
1/2 to 3/4 cups parmesan cheese
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium/low heat
Add the garlic and cook for a minute, add cream, pepper, salt, and nutmeg, bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down if the mixture reaches a rapid boil you don't want it to separate, you just want a low simmer. Add the cheese and continue to simmer sauce for 8 minutes or until it thickens.
I made this one year for our wedding anniversary. I did the recipe just like it says and had grilled chicken breasts separate. Was delicious And romantic by candlelight!! Even got my hubby to dance with me after dinner!! Enjoy!