Sunday, February 28, 2010

Southwestern Grilled Chicken Salad


Jim and I ate at Red Robin last week. We got there Southwestern Grilled Chicken Salad. It was good, but while I was eating it I thought "I could make this at home!"
So today I gave it a try and here is what I came up with.

Di's Southwestern Grilled Chicken Salad
Serves 4

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts- marinade in Grill Mates Chipotle Pepper Marinade for at least 1/2 hour.

1 large bag salad mix
1/2 a red pepper, diced
1/2 a green pepper, diced
1/4 of an onion, finely chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

Dressing:
3/4 cups ranch dressing
2 Tablespoons Salsa (approx)
2 teaspoons lime juice
dash or two of chipotle pepper powder
Fresh Cilantro (if desired)

Garnish:
2 avocados, diced
Tortilla strips
Banana Peppers or Jalapeno peppers.

Grill Chicken on hot grill for about 8-10 minutes per side. (Depends on how thick they are)
While chicken is grilling. Add salad mix, peppers, onions, cheese, and black beans in a large bowl and toss. Set aside.
Mix ranch dressing, salsa, lime juice, chipotle pepper powder and a few sprigs of Cilantro leaves together in a blender. Right before plating, pour over salad mixture and toss gently to coat everything.
When chicken is done, slice into thin strips.
To assemble, divide salad onto 4 larger dinner plates. Place one sliced chicken breast on the top. Sprinkle diced avocado around chicken along with a few banana peppers or jalapenos (red robin breaded and fried their jalapeno slices)
Garnish with tortilla strips.
The restaurant used the red and blue corn tortilla strips. I couldn't find so I made my own using corn tortilla's sliced thin and tossed with a little olive oil and sprinkled with salt. Bake in 375 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until crunchy like chips.
This recipe isn't that complicated. You can bake the tortilla strips and prepare the salad stuff while the chicken is cooking.
It's great for a main course and Yummo!!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm - this sounds really good! I am so excited about all these yummy recipes!

    ReplyDelete

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...