Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dilly Beans

I thought since it's gardening season I'd post a few recipes for vegetables. Here is a recipe for Dilly beans I got from work. I changed it a bit. Have you ever eaten at a Mexican restaurant that has pickled carrots, and veggies on the side? They are kind of spicy... well that's what I tried to create. My changes are in parenthesis, the original recipe is good too, they are great to just munch on or have on the side of mexican dishes...

Dilly Beans

You will need clean, sterilized canning jars. Usually 9 pints for a batch

Fill each jar with the following:
Fresh green beans, washed and stems removed
1 whole clove garlic (or 1 teaspoon minced)
1 to 2 dry Chinese or Japanese peppers ( I couldn't find, so I used 1/2 a fresh jalapeno pepper, and 1/2 a serrano pepper)
1 sprig of Dill (I used about 1/2 teaspoon dried dill in each jar)
(I also added a few diagonal sliced carrots along with the beans in each jar, they were yummy)

Pour the following mixture into bean filled jars to within 1/2 inch of the top:
5 cups water
5 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup salt
Bring to a boil, then pour over beans in the jar.

Put on jar lids, and process in water bath: 10 minutes for pints, and 15 minutes for quarts.

*The first time I made this I just made a 1/2 batch of the liquid and did 4 pints because I wasn't sure we'd like them. We loved them! So I'm going to do a whole batch next time. I think I will put more peppers in them too, maybe a whole jalepeno sliced in half, and the same with a serrano.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...