Saturday, June 5, 2010

Egg rolls

I love egg rolls!! Every new year's we make egg rolls, and fried rice to ring in the new year... and I've made them with my Young Women's girls. They love them too. This is the recipe that I found on the back of the Azumaya egg roll wrappers, and of course I tweaked it a little to  suit my taste. I also use the sweet and sour sauce recipe that follows for a great dipping sauce. The sweet and sour sauce also makes great sweet and sour chicken. Enjoy!

Egg Rolls
Makes about 20 egg rolls

1 Package Azumaya Large Square Egg Roll Wraps
1 pound lean ground beef, pork, or chicken (I used chicken that I've chopped finely in my food processor)
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger if you don't have fresh on hand)
2 Cups Cabbage, finely chopped **hint- I've used about 3 cups of classic coleslaw mix for the cabbage and carrots, easier cuz it's already shredded)
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup celery, sliced paper thin
1 can Bean sprouts, drained
3 Green onions, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons Oyster sauce
3 Tablespoons Hoisin sauce (Oyster and Hoisin sauce are found in the asain section of most grocery stores)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Vegetable oil for deep-frying
Mustard, ketchup or sweet & sour sauce for dipping

Preparation Method:
Brown meat ,ginger and garlic over medium high heat until browned and meat is cooked through. Add cabbage, carrots, celery, bean sprouts,and green onions: cook 2 minutes. Stir in oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, salt and pepper. Let mixture cool. Use 2 tablespoons filling for each egg roll. Follow folding directions on package of egg roll wrappers. To deep-fry: heat oil to 350 degrees, and deep-fry a few at a time, turning occasionally, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. (I usually deep fry mine but you can oven bake)
To oven-bake: brush each egg roll with 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the egg rolls are crisp on the bottoms; about 7 minutes; turn and bake until crisp all over, about 5 minutes.
 Serve with mustard, ketchup, or sweet & sour sauce if desired.

Sweet and Sour Sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
6 Tablespoon Catsup
2 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed(or 2 teaspoons granule chicken bouillon)
3/4 cup white vinegar
6 Tablespoons water (I usually dissolve my bouillon cubes in this if you get it really hot)
4 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce.

Mix all together in saucepan and bring to boil, cook  on a medium low heat until thickens. Makes a great dipping sauce for eggrolls or great sweet and sour chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New and Improved Chicken Enchilada Soup

I have a few different Chicken enchilada / chicken tortilla, and different chicken soups on here, but I did a few things different yesterday...